Versailles was the residence of Kings Louis XIV, Louis XV and Louis XVI, before hosting the Estates General in 1789. The palace is distinguished by its thirteen hectares of roofs and its 483 mirrors. From the roofs, not open to visitors, can be seen the Orangery, the gardens with their big canal and the water tanks which are still feeding the basins, fountains and 600 water jets.
Extract from "Versailles, la visite", directed by Gérard Corbiau DVD produced by Editions Montparnasse / Réunion des Musées Nationaux
At the origine, Versailles was an hunting lodge built by Louis XIII. But the place
is not compatible with such huge constructions. They must do some terraces
build, marsh drained, control the nature. Constructions will go on for 50 years.
Two gates marked out the two entrances. The first, open on the fore court. The
second is the real entrance to the palace. It is locked by night, but by day, it is
open to all. Everyone has access to the King.